Thursday, May 20, 2010

The Aquabats


Ahhhh a throwback to the good old days (read: middle school). I'd have to say that the Aquabats, and specifically their album Charge, were instrumental in getting me into more melodic music. Back in middle school I was into punk and classic metal, like Zepplin and Metallica. The summer before my freshman year I picked this album up on the recommendation of a friend, and it was pretty much the only thing I listened to for the rest of the summer. The Aquabats unique brand of melodic ska-punk introuced me to an entirely new kind of sound, one that would influence the music I listen to even to this day. Originally, the group was a 9-piece band, complete with horns section and Travis Barker as their drummer (he's my boy). They are mainly known for their ridiculous outfits and nonsensical songs, as well as their even more ridiculous live shows. A few friends who have seen them have told me they're amazing, and they're certainly near the top of my list of bands I want to see live. They're down to only 5 members now, but they're ridiculous as ever, and although I haven't enjoyed as much of their more recent work, I'll always remember them as instrumental in changing my musical tastes (hopefully for the better).

No comments:

Post a Comment