Wednesday, February 23, 2011

Lupe Fiasco - All Black Everything


God damn, Lupe up and done it again. If I was excited for March 8 before I heard this track, I don't even know how to describe how I feel now. Lupe has dropped what he describes on twitter as his "favorite record ever", and I'm gonna have to say he may be right. Over a really good amazing beat, Lupe imagines a world where slavery never happened, crack wasn't invented, and MLK Jr. reads Malcom X's eulogy. Lupe paints a picture of what the world could have been, in the hope that it will inspire us towards a better future.


Lu delivers one of my favorite lines in a long time when he describes a world where:

"Keepin' it real is not an understood concept / Yea, complexion's not a contest / Cuz racism has no context / Hip hop ain't got a section called conscious."

This really hit home because it's always been an inner struggle for me when listening to hip-hop to ignore the often misogynistic, homophobic, and generally ignorant lyrics that so many songs contain. Just imagine a world where people didn't go around labeling any hip hop with a positive message "conscious". A world where mainstream hip hop wasn't part of the problem, a world where I could turn on the radio and actually have the songs on it mean something. I'm rambling now, but I think I may have to do a post on this subject later, because I've still got a lot left to say.


In summary: #AllBlackEverything #March8th



Stream only right now. Support real music and buy Lasers, in stores March 8th.

No comments:

Post a Comment