Friday, April 23, 2010

Jaylib


Madlib and Dilla the illest. A truer statement has never been uttered. When Madlib and J Dilla, two of my favorite hip-hop producers, combined to create Jaylib, my prayers had been answered. The raw hip-hop sound of their album Champion Sound gets better and better every time I listen to it; each time I hear one of their songs I find new subtle nuances, a bass-line in the background, some drums I'd never heard, etc. One of the things I think is really cool is the way in which the album was created. Dilla and Lib spent the months making the album by mailing their parts back and forth to each other, with one creating a beat and the other rapping over it. In this way, half the tracks are produced by Dilla, with raps by Madlib, and the other half are reversed, with Madlib behind the tables and Dilla on the mic. Not surprisingly, the four songs I'm about to post here, my favorites off the album, are all Dilla produced. These four songs are some of my favorite of all time, with heavy bass, some crazy samples, and Madlib's goofy lyrics. If you were only to pick up one though, get The Red. It is without a doubt one of my favorite songs of all time, and if you really want to get a party moving, that's the song to play.

The Red - Jaylib / Mediafire
Raw Shit (Feat. Talib Kweli) - Jaylib / Mediafire
React (Feat. Quasimoto) - Jaylib / Mediafire
Starz - Jaylib / Mediafire

No comments:

Post a Comment